view our Practice areas

Requesting more child support when your ex receives a raise

When the courts issue the child support order in a parenting plan in your divorce, they do so based on the circumstances at the time of the divorce. Your life and the life of your ex will invariably change after the divorce. Living in new homes and starting new relationships are common, as are all of the changes that occur as someone's life continues to progress. Career advancement is one such change.

If your ex is a successful professional who has recently received a raise, promotion or large bonus related to their work, you may be able to ask the court review your child support and modify it, just as they could ask for a reduction if their earning potential went down or your income went up.

Additional child support related to an ex's increase in wealth or income is also called good fortune child support by some states. It is not inappropriate or greedy for a custodial parent to seek additional support when the other spouse's circumstances improve. Instead, it is a rational decision based on the best interests of the children and what would happen if you had remained married or they retained primary custody.

The change has to be significant to warrant a modification

The courts in Connecticut will listen to requests from either parent about adjusting the terms of custody or the amount of support due when there is a valid reason to request a change. Parents can request a modification for any number of reasons.

Typically, the states want to see a substantial change in income when there's a modification request. If your ex receives a raise of $0.25 an hour at work, the courts likely won't adjust child support over such a small increase in income. However, if they receive a promotion that comes with a $10,000 bonus and a raise, that could motivate the courts to increase support for your children and thereby improve their standard of living.

You need to have evidence to support your claims

One thing that may frustrate some parents who see their ex in improved circumstances is that not all of their income may be taxable. Some parents paying child support will go to extreme lengths to avoid reporting new or additional income, including agreeing to illegal, under the table payment from an employer without reporting or tax withholding.

Whether your ex is receiving more cash income or has documentable income increases, you will need some amount of evidence to prove your assertion that their situation has changed. When you request the hearing, you will fill out a financial affidavit. Your ex will need to do the same if they contest your filing.

Having evidence to support your claims is important, whether it's social media posts or statements from your ex's boss. If you can show to the courts that their income has gone up, their obligation to the children may increase as well.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

We Listen, We Help, We Care

  • Hi Yuliana and Attorney Prince, Thank you so much for taking time out of your busy day to meet with me. I really appreciated how compassionate you were while listening to my situation, even through my tears. Thank you so much for sharing such valuable information with me. I left feeling very hopeful that when the dust settles, I’ll be ok.
  • Wendy helped guide us through a very difficult and emotional process and was really able to provide an even and fair account for both parties. It's quite evident in her expertise in this area but the way she was able to make you feel safe and secure in a very insecure time goes far beyond her legal prowess. If the two parties are really willing to cooperate and collaborate, she's there to help gain the best possible solution for all involved, especially if there are children.
  • Regardless of how committed one is to the fact that divorce may be imminent and necessary, it is truly one of the most emotional and stressful situations one can experience. It can also be daunting. Wendy has a remarkable ability to cut through the noise and help you focus on the big picture while drilling down on what is most pertinent to your particular situation., they are a formidable team who work collectively with your best interests in mind.
Email Us For a Response

Let Us Help You Move Forward

Call The Prince Law Group, LLC, in Stamford, Connecticut, at 203-977-3700 or contact us online to schedule your complimentary consultation with one of our lawyers. We will accommodate your schedule with an evening appointment. Spanish translator services available.

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Prince Law Group BBB Business Review
Review Us

1 Atlantic Street
6th Floor
Stamford, CT 06901

Phone: 203-653-8483
Stamford Law Office Map

The Prince Law Group

Valet Parking at the Marriott Courtyard

Flexible Hours – Evening Hours Available by Appointment

Walking Distance to the Stamford Train Station