We Listen. We Help. We Care.

Can your alimony amount be changed?

On Behalf of | Dec 15, 2021 | Divorce |

Alimony, sometimes called spousal support, can provide the finances to establish separate households when one partner makes more than the other. After the court issues the initial alimony order when finalizing the divorce, either person can request a change in alimony if financial circumstances change.

Review the process of modifying alimony amounts after a divorce in Connecticut.

When you can modify alimony

If you want to request either an increase or decrease in alimony, you must complete the state’s Motion for Modification form. However, you must confirm that your initial divorce order does not prohibit future modification of spousal support.

Factors in the court decision

Whoever requests the change in spousal support must show the court that circumstances have substantially changed since the judge first issued the alimony order. Connecticut does not specifically define what counts as a substantial change, giving each judge the discretion to decide whether your case warrants modification.

Examples of substantial changes may include:

  • A new job with a change in income
  • A raise or income decrease
  • Change in either party’s mental or physical health
  • Remarriage or other household changes such as cohabitation
  • Change in child custody or support

These changes may affect either person to result in a successful modification. For example, you could argue that your alimony should go up because your spouse got a raise, or as the payer you could cite the other person’s new job as a reason for a decrease.

When you and your former spouse have an amicable relationship, you may agree on a change in alimony. In this case, you can submit a new order for the judge to review and approve.