We Listen. We Help. We Care.

How to enforce child custody arrangements in Connecticut

On Behalf of | May 15, 2024 | Child Custody |

Life after divorce usually involves making adjustments for you, your former spouse and the rest of the family. Sometimes, these changes happen according to arrangements set during proceedings, which typically become legally enforceable through court orders. These documents may outline financial and parental responsibilities, all necessary to help navigate post-divorce life.

Since this time can present different challenges, you or your former spouse could make mistakes and unintentionally go against any custody-related requirements. If these incidents happen too frequently, it is possible to ask the court to address these concerns and enforce the agreed-upon conditions.

Filing a motion for contempt

In most cases, contacting the noncompliant parent and asking them to make up for missed obligations are enough to address the situation. Some incidents may require action from the court by filing a motion for contempt. In Connecticut, it can be a viable option if these conditions are present: 

  • A relevant court order exists
  • The noncompliant party violated the order, and you have supporting proof
  • You have reason to believe that the violation happened deliberately

The process of filing this motion may involve paperwork and a hearing, which may also involve you going to court to share these details. Still, the steps could vary based on the circumstances, such as when an out-of-state court issued the child custody order.

Determining ways to address noncompliance

Aside from filing this type of motion, there could be other options to help you and your former spouse settle issues and properly implement any custody-related arrangements. Even before planning to file the request, seeking legal guidance could be helpful. Experienced insight and guidance could help you find more effective, less adversarial ways to benefit you and your entire family.