We Listen. We Help. We Care.

What can I do if my co-parent fails to pay child support?

On Behalf of | May 16, 2024 | Child Custody |

The nonpayment of child support can be a significant challenge for custodial parents. In Connecticut, there are several ways to ensure that nonpaying parents can still meet their obligations and comply with the child support order. If you are dealing with nonpayment issues, what are your options for enforcing child support payments?

Wage garnishment

One of the ways to collect child support is via wage garnishment. The court can order an employer to hold a portion of the nonpaying parent’s wages to satisfy the child support order. Moreover, the garnishment can continue until they pay the arrears in full.

Contempt of court

If a parent deliberately fails to pay child support, the court can hold them in contempt for violating the child support order. A contempt of court offense can result in fines or even imprisonment until the parent complies with the order.

Tax refund interception

Another way to address unpaid child support is by intercepting the federal and state tax refunds of the nonpaying parent. The state can redirect any refunds due to pay off outstanding child support obligations.

Other options

Additionally, Connecticut law allows for the suspension of various licenses due to the nonpayment of child support. Among the licenses that can be suspended are driver’s, occupational and recreational licenses.

Also, a custodial parent can report a nonpaying parent to credit bureaus for their unpaid child support. Such a report could cause potential damage to their credit score.

Ensuring support for your child

Child support is a crucial obligation of parents, and seeking legal assistance to deal with nonpayment issues may help you study your options. Doing so can help you take the necessary measures to enforce child support payments effectively in order to ensure that your child gets the support that they deserve from both parents.