We Listen. We Help. We Care.

Which legal documents do unmarried couples need?

On Behalf of | Mar 18, 2017 | Family Law |

When you and your partner are unmarried, you may find you need to pay close attention to legal matters. In the event of your death, your plans may not be legal in Connecticut because you are not related to each other by marriage. It is important to understand several kinds of legal documents so your wishes can be respected.

You and your partner will likely want to make funeral arrangements. According to U.S. News, this ensures that the wishes of the deceased partner are followed, and allows the survivor to make the arrangements. Additionally, you should consider writing a will. Without one, property goes to the deceased’s next of kin, and this document can help ensure that your property is divided the way you want it to be.

If you and your partner have children, it is important to consider your custody arrangement. Documents which allow both of you to make decisions for your children are usually a necessity. In some cases, you may want to consider a second-parent adoption. Additionally, you should think about a domestic partner agreement. If you and your partner separate, this document details how your joint assets will be divided.

Other legal matters you may want to look into are your life insurance and health care arrangements. You will likely need to make your partner the beneficiary of your life insurance policy, and you may also need to ensure this person is your health care surrogate. This allows doctors to speak to your partner if you cannot make medical decisions.

This information is meant to inform and should not be considered legal advice.